Something I realised recently is that I am actually terrible at small talk. I only realised this when I went to my friend’s friend’s. I had nothing to say to them and the whole night was just awkward.
I’ve never been one to attempt to make small talk. I always laughed at how people would try to make small talk to fill ‘awkward’ silences. I don’t think I’ve ever actually thought a silence was all that awkward either. Hairdressers are notorious for trying to make small talk. They always ask questions like “Are you going anywhere nice on holiday?” or “What are you doing at the weekend?”. I always found these questions a little funny because, let’s be real’ no one cares.
I’ve always seen small talk as something that is completely pointless. I’d rather talk about something more interesting such as aliens or how terrible the education system is. I doubt I would make a good first impression by talking about how the education system is failing people though.
So, I have taken it upon myself to develop my small talk skills. I made these 10 rules to follow to be a small talk pro!
- Prepare at least 3 things to talk about before going to meet someone.
- Ask about the other person.
- Remember the other person’s name.
- Don’t just walk away while the other person is talking no matter how boring they are.
- Stick to basics if you panic. For example, ask what they are doing on the weekend.
- Find a common interest.
- Listen more than you talk.
- Don’t look around the room while the other person is talking. It makes you look bored and uninterested.
- If someone offers you food or drink, try to take it. (Apparently, if you don’t take it you look rude)
- If the conversation starts running dry, talk about your surroundings.
*Please note, I take no responsibility if you follow these rules and your small talk is still bad. I never claimed to be a small talk expert. In fact, I am the opposite.
Is anyone else as bad at small talk as me? If you have any tips on how to not be a awkward human during any social situation then please let me know