To win NaNoWriMo, you must write a 50,000 word novel—from scratch—in one month. To break it up, you have to write 1,667 words a day, every day, for thirty days straight. That’s a lot of words!
So if you’re participating in NaNoWriMo this year, how do you win? Here are five suggestions.
1. Set a timer. Sadly, there’s not unlimited hours in November so use your time wisely. Set a time for 15 minutes and see how many words that you can write. Take a small break and then set a timer again and try to beat your last word count. By challenging yourself, you will work harder to beat your goals.
2. Don’t edit. Editing is so important when writing a novel but November is not the time for editing. November is the time for writing. You an spend time editing in December.
3. Write with friends. Making writing more fun will help you feel motivated to write.
4. Write fast. Today, writing fast is the most important thing you can do. Quantity begets quality, so write quickly today.
5. Give yourself permission to be awful. Stop expecting your novel to be perfect. You have 30 days to write a whole novel, it really isn’t going to be some of your best works so allow yourself to make mistakes and write things that you’re not 100% happy with.