Is It Okay To Call Someone Fat?

I will admit it, I say the F word. Not the F words that you’re thinking about right now but a word that is probably just as ‘wrong’ to use. That word is fat. It has become an insult to mean the opposite of attractive. It’s a word that no one wants to be associated with.

But that needs to change!

Here’s the thing; fat is not a bad word. It’s not an insult. Let’s all just say that louder for the people at the back.

FAT IS NOT A BAD WORD OR AN INSULT!

Some people a tall, some people are short, some people are fat and some people are thin. You don’t see people using tall or small as an insult so why use fat or thin?!

Society has done a great disservice to all of us all by teaching us that fatness implies inferiority. Thanks to the media, nasty and naive people turning the word fat from a neutral adjective into a shameful insult, so many perfect people face unnecessary low self-esteem and low self-confidence. Society has trained people to believe that only thin people can be beautiful and that is just not true at all. Whether you’re ft or thin, you are beautiful.

Criticizing people for how they look or what they weigh is not okay and it’s also not okay to criticize ourselves for stomachs that aren’t flat enough, thighs that aren’t thin enough or arms that aren’t toned enough. THAT kind of fat talk definitely needs to go.

Fat as a noun is fine, it’s when it’s used as an insult that things get nasty.

Fat is not a word to be scared of!

One more thing, Fat jokes aren’t funny. End of.

Eleanor May

Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

12 Comments

1. April 16, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Love this! I’ve said this before – the only reason fat has become a bad word is because we use it as an insult. If we were to remove the stigma it becomes a normal adjective. Glad you put this into better words!
    Jas xx

2. April 16, 2017 / 7:36 pm

I think the word fat itself isn’t an insult but the implications behind it can be, if it’s said with the intent to be informative then I don’t think that’s bad but if it’s said to be spiteful it can be hurtful. Good post! Xx

Itsallzara.blogspot.co.uk

3. Beth
    April 16, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Completely agree with you on this on, we shouldn’t use it as an insult to someone – like you say, we don’t use the fact that someone is tall or short to insult someone! Love the post! x

4. April 16, 2017 / 7:40 pm

I agree that fat is not a word to be scared of as it, it is just a word. BUT, our society put slimness as a key to success so calling someone fat can become an insult and be incredibly mean. it also can make people feel super bad about themselves and force them to change who they are to conform to society! xx corinne

5. April 16, 2017 / 7:42 pm

What an interesting blog post. It is so true though without the stigma there wouldn’t be anything attached to the word fat. Everyone’s beautiful in their own way! Great post x

6. April 16, 2017 / 7:42 pm

Absolutely agree. I’m overweight i know I am lol but my friends who aren’t tiptoe around the subject and it’s only until I say “yeah as big as me” etc lol then its fine.

7. April 16, 2017 / 7:43 pm

I’ve never read a post like this, very well written and unique x

8. April 16, 2017 / 8:30 pm

Love this post! This is such an interesting read and a topic that should be chatted about more!

Kirsty | The Monday Project | themondayproject.co.uk