I’m A Diet Industry Drop Out

This post is pretty hard for me to write because I’m sure that there will be some people who disagree but it’s something that I really wanted to say. I was inspired to write this post by Fat Girl Flow. You can check out her blog here and her youtube channel here. She recently uploaded a video sharing her opinion on whether or not dieting was body positive.

If you want to watch her video then click here. It’s definitely worth a watch!

After watching the video, I really felt inspired to share my story about dieting.

I’ve dieted on and off for as long as I can remember. I think it all started when I was age 14. During school, I was slightly larger than most of the children in my classes but it was nothing to worry about because I was perfectly healthy.

The only problem was that I was young and when you’re bigger than the rest of the people you spend everyday with, you can start to feel a little bad about yourself. I felt different to most of my friends and most of my confidence disappeared.

My diet story really started when I would attend weight loss classes such as weight watchers and slimming world with my mum. She would go and I would end up doing the diet too. Going to those classes, sadly made me learn that you will only really make people proud of you when you’re losing weight. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself that I can make people proud of me in so many different ways.

At aged 16, I was on a milkshake diet called Herbalife. I’m not sure if you’ve ever heard of it before so I’ll quickly explain it. You basically drink 3 milkshakes a day and you take vitamin tablets to get all the extra healthy bits that the milkshakes miss. The only food that you were allowed to eat was a very small amount of protein a day. You would usually end up only drinking milkshakes.

While I was only drinking the milkshake, I was losing about 5lbs a week. This was a lot of weight for me to lose considering I really wasn’t that plus size.

When I stopped the Herbalife diet, I felt very low in my mood. I was so scared of gaining weight because throughout my life, I had been told that gaining weight was bad!

That’s when I started having some issues. I wouldn’t eat enough and I occasionally made myself throw up what I did eat. I haven’t really told anyone about that before but I feel like it’s nothing to be ashamed of. We all deal with out stress and problems in different ways.

Weight Watchers CertificatesSince then, I have been back on and off diets such as Weight Watchers

I lost a lot more weight and I even got certificates congratulating me on my weight loss. Would you believe it?!

But do you know what…. I AM DONE!

I’m so done with all these diets that make me feel bad about myself. I don’t want to be somewhere or in a place in my life when you only get applauded for losing weight.

Do you know how expensive all these diets are?! It’s a money making scheme and I’m done giving money to these companies that gain money from people being unhappy with their bodies.

So before all of you go making comments about how people can do what they want with their own bodies, then you should know that I agree. People have illness and other reasons that make them want to lose weight. If that’s what you want to do then go for it. You’re allowed to be the you that you want to be.

However, if you’re on a diet because you think that is what you’re suppose to be doing so that you can fit into societies idea of perfect then you need to stop!

Are you a diet industry drop out like me? Do you have any diet experiences that you want to share? I would love to hear your thoughts.

1. September 8, 2016 / 12:05 pm

You go girl! I think do what is best for you and what makes you happy x

• September 8, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Your body is your body and if you’re happy that’s all that matters x

2. September 8, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Totally! I’ve tried a couple of things in my time but now I just try to eat healthier, exercise when possible and treat myself occasionally. I know I’m overweight but I try not to give myself a hard time over it and won’t starve myself or feel bad about not going to the gym if I’ve had a busy or stressful week. Sure it’ll take longer for the extra pounds to drop off but I’m not gonna go crazy over it.

• September 8, 2016 / 4:21 pm

That’s exactly how you should be doing it! No one wants to look back on their life and just see all the times they missed out of things because they were on a diet 😊

3. September 8, 2016 / 6:45 pm

I was following Slimming World for nearly 3 years, come the end of it I had such an unhealthy relationship with food. While I lost weight, a lot of things suffered. I felt my mental health suffer, it affected my relationships with friends and family, my physical health then started to suffer and in the end I just had enough. All the women in the group talked about is what they ate and shouldn’t have, how much they drank, and I felt I was the only one there actually trying to lose weight most of the time! I just became so angry and bitter.

Since dropping diet culture on it’s head, eating healthily most of the time but not denying myself a treat, and generally having a much better relationship with food I’ve become a LOT happier. My social life improved too (even if in the place of dieting I’ve become a vegetarian, borderline vegan 😛 Still, it’s easier to be a vegetarian than on a bloody diet!)

• September 9, 2016 / 2:17 pm

I’m glad that you have a healthier relationship with food now. I remember when I did Slimming World I would just eat the same food over and over and I ended up getting into a routine which wasn’t good for me at all.

I hope more people decide to ditch the diet culture and eat what works best for them instead!

4. September 9, 2016 / 6:29 am

I tried WW, but I felt so awful when I went to the meetings if I hadn’t lost weight. It made me so depressed that I had to stop.

• September 9, 2016 / 2:14 pm

I’m glad that you stopped going if they made you feel depressed. They really are horrible money making industries!

• September 11, 2016 / 4:48 am

I tried Nutrisystem, too, and actually lost about 25 pounds. But it was so expensive, and it just got irritating after a while.

5. September 9, 2016 / 11:58 am

Love this post! The diet industry is truly terrifying and they will stop at nothing to continue their money grabbing ways. Getting certificates and only feeling good about yourself when you’ve lost weight seems like such an odd idea. When did self worth equate to your body weight?! Good on you for doing exactly what you want! xx

• September 9, 2016 / 2:19 pm

Thank you! I just wish that more people would see how terrible diet culture actually is x

6. September 11, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Your story brings back so many memories for me, both from my own experience and watching my Mum go through similar things at weightloss classes and milkshake diets such as herbalife and lipotrim.

One of the first programs I followed was weight watchers too; I was sixteen and very self-conscious and the praise I got when I started to lose weight made me feel good about myself. I went through a phase where I completely deprived myself of carbs, limited my meals and would even throw the lunch my mum made me in the bin. I was obsessed with the number on the scales. I would punish myself whenever I binged, which I would do when I was emotional, and by the time I was in uni, like you, I would occasionally make myself sick after I’d eaten something ‘bad’.

Then I started to exercise, and focus on my fitness rather than my weight. I began to realise if I wanted to increase my fitness levels than I couldn’t deprive myself of food or I would feel unwell and faint. I have come to a realisation over the last three years specifically, that life is about balance. Food is for nourishment, and also enjoyment; we only get one body and we shouldn’t abuse it if we want it to last.

I am glad that you have made this self-discovery, I hope that you will use it as a opportunity to begin to nourish your body with food that will love it back, learn to listen to its needs and take care of it.

7. September 11, 2016 / 3:37 pm

Great article! I totally agree with you. The diet industry should rather teach people how to eat properly without feeling insecure each time they eat. But as some says, business is business.

8. September 18, 2016 / 10:35 am

Luckly I have never done industry diets like weight watchers. When I have dieted, I have always gone to a registered dietitian whose goal was to eat properly and helping me become healthier all round. The weight would come off as a consequence.

9. conflictedhealth
    October 1, 2016 / 8:55 pm

Good for you! It is such a scheme! The weight loss industry does not want you to succeed.

Katie