Why I Hate Shopping For Plus Size Clothing

We all know the struggles of clothes shopping. Well there’s so many more struggles for plus size women (or so I have experienced). Not only does the clothing cost a lot more but there’s also an extremely limited selection.

While there are some shops that seem to know how to sell plus size clothing, the majority of shops just don’t.

Let me just say, plus size women (or men) can still look fabulous and really don’t need to look like a 70 year old, so if stores could just get that into their heads then that would be great! The majority of the shops that I go to seem to only sell plus size clothing that is full of flowers patterns (and not even nice ones), clothing that is just completely polyester and most tops are empire wasted. I get those those types of tops can be ‘flattering’ but what people need to realise is that every single human has a different body shape. What flatters one person might not look so great on the next. That’s not up for you to decide though. If I look frumpy in something but I love it then I’m going to wear it even if it does make me look fatter.

Why do all shops assume that plus size people have huge boobs? I bought a lovely mustard (sounds horrible but it’s great) colour, spaghetti strap top. It was so pretty that I had to buy it even though it didn’t fit completely right. The problem was that my boobs were way too small to fill the top. I found myself constantly pulling it up at the front. In the end, I got my mum to sew up the straps meaning that it reveals a lot less. It’s still a little too big in the boob area but what else can be done?!

Shops seem to have a huge variety of clothing available. In each section of the store, there’s usually boards hanging or signs saying things such as ‘bags’, ‘children’ and anything else that they seem to have on offer. This is great as it helps shoppers who know exactly what they are looking for. The only problem is that the plus size section never seems to be marked very well. It’s as if shops are just embarrassed about stocking plus size clothing.

I recently went into my local New Look with my boyfriend. I knew where the plus size section was as I had been there before so I gave the challenge to my boyfriend of finding the plus size section. He literally couldn’t find it at all and he was about the ask a member of staff before he finally found it. That was just crazy to me how my boyfriend could find all the other sections of the store as they were obviously marked. Can New Look just sort this out please?!

You know when you’re walking through the store to get to the plus size clothing an you see all those cute little tops and skirts that you want? Yeah, I know how you feel. Why can’t shops just offer the same clothes in a larger size. I get that what looks great on a smaller person may not look so nice on a larger person but it’s not up to the shop to decide. If a shop sells something in a small then it should sell it in a large too.

I find the easiest way to shop as a plus size person is online. It saddens me to say that as I love trying on clothes in shops but it’s just a lot of unneeded stress. Online you can find a whole section for plus size people on most clothing websites. I feel like Boohoo and ASOS do this very well and their plus size section is completely on point at the moment! However, I do think that if a shop has something available for plus size people online then they should also have it available in their store. There’s been so many times when I’ve seen something great online but when I went into the shop, they didn’t have any plus size clothing at all. It’s all extremely disappointing.

Oh and what’s with plus size sections always being towards the back of shops?

Eleanor

19 Comments

1. September 5, 2016 / 11:25 am

I feel you I litrally don’t even go in the shop anymore I just shop online now xx

• September 5, 2016 / 12:17 pm

I’m the same which is sad because I love shopping x

2. September 5, 2016 / 11:36 am

At my local New Look the plus size section is on a completely different floor to womens wear which I find insane and I really don’t understand the reasoning for it as it is a huge store. It’s on the same floor as shoes and menswear instead.

I agree with you, though I am not quite plus sized, I think it’s wrong that shops don’t offer the same clothes in all sizes and almost single plus-size out.

Love Amber – ambambe.com xx

• September 5, 2016 / 12:17 pm

That’s so crazy that it’s on a separate floor! x

3. September 5, 2016 / 11:45 am

Most people aren’t a size zero. I mean plus size shouldn’t even be a thing. Just release the clothes in more sizes that fit everyone. Why is it that hard?

4. September 6, 2016 / 4:54 am

Totally agree with you! I have resorted to shopping almost exclusively online.

5. September 9, 2016 / 7:33 pm

Absolutely on point, I live in South Africa where a lot of the women are voluptuous and curvy and the shops have yet to realise the need, we have few shops that stock larger sizes and only two plus size clothing boutiques within driving distance. It is highly frustrating!

6. September 13, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Totally agree with you, I’ve definitely noticed that plus sized clothes are hidden away smh

7. September 20, 2016 / 12:19 am

I totally understand the feeling about the lack of in-store selections and how it’s so much easier to shop online sometimes. However, I do what I can to make the best of my minimal selection here in the boonies. I try to make it a fun experience so I can keep the love I have for fashion strong.

8. September 25, 2016 / 7:36 pm

As a plus size girl, clothes shopping is always an adventure. I actually hate online shopping more, because the sizes differ so much from one brand to the other, that is hard to distinguish what will fit and how. Great blog you have here Eleanor! I’m a new follower and my niche is positive body image lifestyle and fashion!
    Kallia

9. October 6, 2016 / 1:28 am

ugh, I struggle so badly with finding cute clothes! I am planning on opening up my own boutique with cute and fashionable plus size clothing!

10. October 6, 2016 / 8:43 pm

Great post, this is something I can really relate to. I want fun, sexy and colourful clothes and I want to decide what I want to wear and I don’t want to be dictated to. This is part of the reason I set up Big Girls Don’t Cry which is online only at the moment but the aim is to have our own shop at some point in the future.

11. March 15, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Oh my good god, YES!! I don’t like bloody flowers 😂 I completely agree with everything you’ve said. Why can’t they make the same clothes but bigger? I’m done with having to wait months and months longer for on trend styles. Take bomber jackets for example I looked for so long before they even came to asos plus section, it’s like they don’t want my money!

12. March 18, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Totally agree with you!

Also what is the deal with ugly flower patterns and butterflies right now on plus size clothing!? haha.

I do majority of my clothes shopping online now because it’s just easier. Currently loving ASOS and also George at Asda have some nice spring clothes in right now too 🙂

astoldbykirsty.co.uk