Why I No Longer Have A Instagram Theme

Instagram is like my online photo diary. I love to take photos of what I’m doing and write a little story to go with it. It’s lovely to look back at a later date and see what I looked like or what I was getting up to.

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 16.16.59.png

Not too long ago, I wrote a post about having an Instagram theme which you can read here. Β In the post I wrote about my chosen theme and why I chose to have a theme.

I have still been using Instagram since that post, of course. However, I lost the theme. You want to know why? Because it was just so restricting.

I found myself taking photos of things which I wanted to share with everyone. I would then have to spend forever editing it and trying to make it fit in with my theme. I became so disheartened when I couldn’t get the photo to match.

Now, I share what I want to. I don’t over think it and I don’t check that it looks good. If I like the photo and I want to share it on my Instagram, I will!

Do you have an Instagram theme? Does it work for you?

1. May 9, 2016 / 10:43 am

Great post. I love your featured image too (all the pretty editing hehe)! I do have a theme and it’s so satisfying to fulfil it, but I think my latest picture (selfie, lol shameless) has messed it up a little. Ever since I smashed my iPhone screen I can’t really gage the colour scheme right. So …maybe I will do an ‘eleanor may’ and screw the theme haha xx

2. May 9, 2016 / 10:49 am

I’d love to see how you manage your theme. What’s your Instagram link? I’ll check it out πŸ’—

3. May 9, 2016 / 12:17 pm

Potentially because I’m so old and out of touch I didn’t even realise you were “supposed” to have a theme for most of the time I’ve used Instagram. I have three (!!!) accounts so it would be way too time consuming. I think posting what you like is the way to go, way more realistic too! 😊

4. May 9, 2016 / 6:29 pm

I found your previous post about a theme really interesting, and while I don’t stick to a theme I generally find myself leaning towards one involuntarily! I seem to use the same filter on everything because, for me, it’s the most visually appealing one. I always try and change it but I just can’t kick the habit.

If I were to have a theme it would be books, food & my dog but narrowing it down to one is just too hard!

5. May 9, 2016 / 7:15 pm

What a great post! I have an instagram theme and totally feel you when you say about the editing and feeling disheartened when you cannot get it to fit. I think I have committed to the theme too much to just scrap it now though xo

Emily | emsalice.com

6. May 14, 2016 / 10:32 am

I sort of have one. People probably don’t even notice, but I use a similar editing style on each. I can mostly post what I like but it all looks a bit matchy. At least that’s what I was going for!
    You’re right though, some great themes are so restricting that it’s not longer a place of memories X

7. May 28, 2016 / 10:35 am

I love people who have themes but I just can’t do one myself, like you I want to post what I want and not have to worry about a theme (@rachelcerysbutcher) πŸ™‚