I spent a lot of time growing up and hating the way that I looked. I was told from a lot of people that I needed to lose a few pounds or that I needed a new hair cut because mine didn’t suit me. For a long time I thought the it didn’t matter if I liked how I looked because I needed to change for everyone else. Well, that’s not how things are going to happen anymore. I am going to start dressing for me, eating for me and styling my hair for me. I am going to make me the exact way that I want me to be. Because do you know what..? I’m perfect how I am!
10 Ways To Build Self Confidence
1. Surround yourself with happy and supportive people. This is very important for me. In my life I have often found that I don’t surround myself with the right people and I make myself feel down about myself. Finding people who compliment you and support your decisions is great. We need more supportive people in our lives.
2. Look back at all the things you have accomplished. Sometimes thinking about the past can be daunting and upsetting but if you think back to the things that you have achieved suddenly the past becomes a lot less scary. Think back to the times when you won a trophy or you got good grades in an exam or you got a promotion at work. Think of something that makes you proud of yourself.
3. Smile. This may sound a little silly but smiles are like magic, I swear. Apparently, smiling sends messages to our brain telling it that we’re happy, so our brain will release more endorphins making us feel happier.
4. List your best qualities. Too often we find ourselves listing the things that we want to change about ourselves. Try listing the things that we do like about ourselves and then keep adding to the list until maybe someday you love a lot about yourself.
5. Stop comparing yourself to others. I’m not you and you’re not me. We are nothing alike. And why should we be..? If you want to have more self confidence then you need to work on making your own life better, not making your life more like your best friends.
6. Treat yourself. You’re an awesome human and that needs to be rewarded every now and then. Maybe you could buy those shoes you wanted or that new game. Always make sure you save time to spoil yourself because you deserve it.
7. Help others. Helping someone else is a good way of also helping yourself. You get to feel good about help and that other person gets the help that they needed. It’s a win, win. Even if it’s a small gesture like holding a door open for someone or helping a brother or sister with homework, it will boost your self-esteem.
8. Put on a nice outfit and take some selfies. Sometimes it just feels nice to put on your favourite outfit, take some cute selfies and post them on Instagram.
9. Exercise. Whenever I hit the gym, I always start to feel better about myself. I know that I have done something to be healthy and better myself. It’s not about trying to change what I look like, it’s about becoming a healthier version of me.
10. Do what makes you happy. Do at least one thing a day that you love. It could be reading or watching tele or maybe it’s something bigger like spending time with friends or asking out a cute guy/girl. If it makes you happy then just do it and don’t let anyone else stop you.
“Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit”
― E.E. Cummings
What things make you happy? How do you build your self confidence?